Super Healthy Chicken Salad with Curried Yogurt Dressing. Ditch the mayo and the fat, but up the flavor! This is the perfect quick weeknight meal.
Due to a recent bout of health issues, this round of Your Pantry or Mine has gotten off to a slow start. I want to apologize to everyone who’s been waiting, it took me a few days to get back into the swing of things.
This round of Your Pantry or Mine highlights the ingredients in dew’s pantry, which was more challenging because it holds almost the same ingredients I have in mine, with the exception of just those few I would have normally used to finish off a dish.
With this in mind, and the fact that dew appeared to have an eye for more healthy fare, (and an allergy to nuts) I decided that the first round of Your Pantry or Mine, No. 2 should be something on the lighter side, using the freshest ingredients from her list. It’s perfectly in keeping with the new year, and a meal that won’t make you feel guilty at all! (Of course you can alawys go for a more summery version, like Chicken Salad with Citrus and Cashews.)
This healthy chicken salad would be well suited as the topping on a green salad, over rice or pasta. I had originally planned on serving it on a bed of romaine lettuce, but way down here deepinahearta Texas, I couldn’t come up with a head of romaine worth turning into a salad on its own, so I opted to serve it in the best leafy examples the lettuce had to offer. It made perfect hors d’oeuvre fare.
The really great part about this recipe is that you don’t have to cook anything at all! Just grab a rotisserie chicken on your way home and shred it up. Then viola! You’ve got a healthy chicken salad on the table in under 10 minutes.
Super Healthy Chicken Salad with Curried Yogurt Dressing. Ditch the mayo and the fat, but up the flavor!
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (You can use low fat or fat free if desired)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best, but bottled will work, as long as it’s not concentrate)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken thighs and 2 chicken legs, cooked skinned and shredded (or chopped, your preference) - A rotisserie chicken works wonders here
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large (ore two small) red onions, chopped
- Whisk yogurt, honey and lemon juice together in a mixing bowl. Add curry a bit at a time, tasting as you go to. (Remember, it’s easy to overdo the curry powder!)
- Set aside for at least ten minutes, whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add Curried Yogurt Dressing (above) and toss a second time. Season to taste.
- Serve over chopped or shredded romaine, over rice, or as a savory side to another poultry dish.
For the chicken, two leg quarters work perfectly, so don't be afraid to grab a bargain bag at the market!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 34g
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
I think when I put this together I might have used a bit more than the required amount of curry, hence the warning in the recipe.
I think things could be improved a bit with the addition of some cucumber. Otherwise both my wife and I enjoyed this very much.