Simple, quick and tasty. That’s what comes to mind when I think of this salad. The sweetness of honey, the tang of mustard and a good hearty blast of sweet red grapefruit make this a sure-fire winner on even the hottest day. It puts a smile on my face every time I make it.
It only takes a few minutes to put this together, which makes it a great choice for a quick-lunch. Alternately, just pack up the ingredients separately and assemble it right at your desk in a few seconds for a light alternative to a standard office lunch.
I developed this recipe for FoodBuzz Family Bites. The ingredients used were provided by Newman’s Own, which is why there is a brand specified, but any Honey Mustard dressing that you love, whether homemade or store-bought will work wonders here.
- ¾ pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 1-package Italian blend salad greens
- ¼ cup salt-roasted cashews
- 1 sweet grapefruit cut in segments
- 6-8 Tbsp Newman’s Own Light honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- 1-Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Cook in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat until juices run clear when pierced. Set aside.
- Place greens in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle Newman’s Own Light Honey Mustard salad Dressing over greens and toss lightly to coat. Add grapefruit segments and toss to combine.
- Place equal amounts of salad greens onto four plates. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and lay equal amounts on top of the greens on each plate. Sprinkle cashews over salad.
- Drizzle with a tiny bit more salad dressing if desired.
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Nothing really, but my wife would probably recommend goat cheese.
Links to other recipes like this:
- Grilled Halloumi Salad Recipe with Chicken, Mini-Peppers and Lemon, from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Spicy Orange Chicken Salad, from For The Love of Cooking
- La Salade d’Elle (Chicken Salad with Almonds, Queso Fresco and Raspberry-Lime Vinaigrette), From CbsoP