Muffins are the perfect grab and go food. They’re small, portable, and fit easily into our frenetic lifestyles. Unfortunately, muffins tend to be on the sweet side. They’re packed with heavy fillings or toppings and even if they’re light and fluffy they tend to be a bit… Shall we say vanilla?
These are not “those” muffins. They’re rich, savory, salty, and a bit smoky with more than enough of a kick to make even the most dedicated Texan smile. They aren’t subtle. They aren’t sweet. They aren’t cloying. In short, they’re the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack for anyone who wants something rich and satisfying, but with a fair amount of heat to back it up.
And we did mention that they’re packed with bacon, right? No? Well, there’s a good amount of bacon in there as well.
I could go on, but I’m going to refrain. I’m not sure I can properly express just how good these things are. Just go. Make some. make sure you have some butter to slather them with, and let us know what you think in the comments or on Facebook. We always appreciate your comments and look forward to your opinions!
Bacon, Cheddar and Jalapeno Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 4 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 12 ounces buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, scallions, cheese, bacon and jalapenos in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Add buttermilk, egg, and water and stir until a thick batter forms. Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then on rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 553mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Considering the rate at which these disappeared, I’m going to go with the following statement:
“I’m going to double the recipe.”
That is all.
Links to other recipes like this:
- Cheddar Bacon Muffins, from Evil Shenanigans
- Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Muffins with a Kick, from Dine and Dish