Welcome to another installment of #SundaySupper, hosted this week by the always lovely Isabel at Family Foodie. For this week’s Sunday Supper we were asked to make a recipe from the Mom 100 Cookbook by Katie Workman. This might have posed a challenge, as I don’t happen to own to this particular cookbook (What with not actually being a mom and all), but when the rules were changed to include remaking one of the posts from the previous installment, I knew immediately what I was going to make. Arroz con Pollo.
My wife is out of town with her mother. I miss her terribly when she’s gone but we have a history of staying connected through food, and Arroz con Pollo is one of her favorite dishes. (She makes a mean version herself, I might add.) So I set about reinventing the original recipe a bit, as we are prone to do around here.
The first thing I noted was that the original recipe called for short grain rice. since the only short grain rice I have on hand is sushi rice and sticky rice, that was out. In with the long grain! Second, the original called for kielbasa. while I have nothing against kielbasa, it didn’t seem to fit, so I added Spanish chorizo instead. (A good call, I might add.)
Next, the original called for seasoning the chicken in salt and pepper. Since I wanted to put a more Puerto Rican spin on it, I used Goya Adobo seasoning instead, because it’s what my wife uses. (We were our of recaito and sazon, so I omitted them here.) Also, the recipe called for the addition of paprika, which I simply ignored.
The last bit was that the recipe called for saffron. Yeah.
Saffron isn’t a pantry staple in our home. It’s expensive. It’s delicate. It’s not something I’m going to use in a meal for my kids, unless there are copious amounts of other very expensive foods on the table. (Like seafood or capon.) Luckily, Turmeric, also known as poor man’s saffron, is a more than worthy substitute and one we have on hand at all times.
The result? Well, I thought it was great. My kids absolutely would not eat it. (Not surprising for the 5 year-old, startling for the 11 year-old.) It isn’t my wife’s Arroz con Pollo, but then, nobody’s can be. The first few bites through me off, but once I got past the differences, I ate quite a lot. Also, since the dish makes a LOT of food, I’ve been happily eating it for the past several days.
The recipe is a keeper, but don’t do what I did. Don’t forget to add a handful of green olives at the end.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 513Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 2683mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
I forgot to add green olives… Seriously? I forgot the olives!
Don’t forget to add a half-cup of halved green olives at the end.
Here are some favorites we will be sharing with you during #SundaySupper this week.
- Japanese Restaurant Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing Shockingly Delicious @shockinglydlish
- Spicy Ranch Bacon & Avocado Quesadilla Daily Dish Recipes @nicolehcook
- Pear, Goat cheese and Pancetta Grilled Pizza MamaMommyMom @mamamommymom
- Turkey Meat Sauce The Meltaways @MrsMeltaway
- Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce GirliChef @girlichef
- Salsa Chicken Quesadilla with a homemade cilantro chimichurri Juanita’s Cocina @juanitascocina
- Individual Grilled Pizza Big Bears Wife @bigbearswife
- Beans and Cheese Quesadilla with Tomato Salad Basic n Delicious @basicndelicious
- Grill Roasted Honey Ginger Chicken Are you Hungry? @redkathy
- One-Pot Arroz con Pollo – Cuban Style Comfy Cuisine @trish0605
- Sesame Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables Magnolia Days @reneedobbs
- Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Casserole Twitter Doggie at The Dinner Table @doggieatdinner
- Arroz con Pollo Puerto Rican style Cooking by the seat of our pants @cbsop
- Rice Toppings of Garlic, Lemon, Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Summer Pineapple The Queen’s Notebook @mango_queen
- Pizza Quesadillas Meal Planning Magic @mealplanmom
- Sesame Noodles Cupcakes and Kale Chips @CupcakeKaleChip
- Lasagna Parcels with Turkey Meat Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite @wallet_appetite
- Grilled Chicken Pita Sandwich Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again @shlylais
- Grilled Breakfast Pizza & Sauteed Corn & Spinach Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals @mommasmeals
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach, Bacon and scallions! Mama’s Blissful Bites @mamapoolecooks
- Thai Style Sesame Glass Noodle My Trials in the Kitchen @seetfei
- Caramelized Onion & Flank Steak Quesadilla In The Kitchen with KP @InTheKitchenKP
- Teriyaki Skewers Real Best Recipe @realbestrecipe
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame Cilantro & Bacon Bits Sue’s Nutrition Buzz @ssunithi
- Pulled Pork with Papa Mike’s Cole Slaw In the Kitchen with Audrey @audreysmamma
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach Bacon and Scallions That Skinny Chick Can Bake @thatskinnychick
- Arroz con Pollo Portuguese Style Family Foodie @familyfoodie
- Fudgy One Pot Brownies Mrs. Mama Hen @MrsMamaHen
- Simple Vanilla Cupcakes Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks @HezziD
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares Chocolate Moosey @chocolatemoosey
- Butterscotch-Bacon Apple cookies What Smells So Good? @jo_jo_ba
Wine pairing Wine Everyday @wineeveryday
We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! #SundaySupper starts every week at 3:00pm EST by showcasing fabulous recipes. Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.
- Connect with Katie Workman, Author of The Mom 100 Cookbook:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katieworkman100
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/katieworkman100
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/katieworkman100
- Website: www.themom100.com
- Buy The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket