Perhaps it’s the Irish in me, or perhaps it’s just fond memories from my childhood. In either case, when I’m thinking of a side dish that goes well with just about anything, I almost always turn to potatoes. Not only are they filling in their own right, but the earthy flavor and buttery texture of potatoes that are well prepared is something that makes a meal feel more”complete” somehow.
This recipe is one of the most versatile that I’ve come upon. Originally based on a method for making parsleyed potatoes, its very simplicity belies the perfection of the method and the amazing amounts of different variations that can come of it at a moments notice. The potatoes are steamed, not boiled, so achieving a perfect texture is child’s play, and no oil or salt need be added if you wish to omit it. The flavor can be changed completely by simply switching to a different selection of your favorite herbs, which allows for pairings with nearly any dish, or the flavor can be kicked up a bit and be served as a main course in itself.
- Enough potatoes to serve required amount of people. (My personal guideline is 2 medium potatoes per person, unless there are a lot of other things going on, but the beauty is that you can adjust as suits your needs.)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp herbs of your choice. (This example used Oregano, but anything will work.)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat steamer over medium heat until water boils, reduce to a simmer. Cut potatoes into equally sized pieces. Toss potatoes in herbs. Place onions in steamer and place potatoes over the top.
- Cover and steam until fork tender, about 20 minutes at a simmer, 12 to 15 minutes at a boil (If you’re in a hurry).
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve warm and enjoy.
What I would have done differently had I thought about it at the time:
The next time I make these I’ll change everything depending on what I’m serving them with, that’s the joy of this recipe. I’ve even gone as far as covering the potatoes with curry with amazing results.
Wanna kick it up? Toss in some halved chili peppers under the entire affair and let the steam carry a bit of heat throughout. (I wouldn’t suggest munching the peppers themselves, but they might make a nice garnish.)
Need butter with your potatoes? No problem, just toss the finished potatoes in a bit of melted butter or better yet melted herbed butter, before serving.
The choice is yours, and I hope you have fun with it.