These simple little treats are light on work and huge on taste. Sinful bites of creamy chocolaty nutty goodness!
So simple even a candy novice can put them together.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m not a baker. I probably never will be. I don’t have the patience for it, and I’m not going to apologize for it. But candy making is a different animal all together.
I came up with these almost by accident. I wanted to make dessert for my wife, since it’s something I usually avoid. I found a recipe for Hazelnut Ganache Cups at Joyofbaking.com and decided I’d give it a shot. I spotted the filo cups at the market and shifted gears on the cups I’d use, and being Texan the pecans were a foregone conclusion.
I used some very simple Hershey Special Dark Chocolate Chips. Why? Because my wife is a dark chocolate fanatic, and she’d bought the little morsels for snacking. (easy to control the portions with chips, you see.)
I also used Creme De Cacao instead of brandy or bourbon, simply to up the chocolate value.
So off we go into my first foray in chocolatier-ery.
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Creme De Cacao
- 3 packages mini filo cups (15 ct.), thawed.
- 2.25 oz chopped pecans, roasted
- 45 pecan halves, roasted
- Run chopped pecans through food processor until chopped very fine
- Bring cream just to a boil in small saucepan and pour over chocolate. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir mixture gently until smooth.
- Add creme de cacao and pecans.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Add ganache to piping bag with large plain tip (or use a disposable and just cut the tip)
- Fill the filo cups to just below the top
- Place pecan halves over each cup
- Refrigerate until set (about 2 hours)
- Serve at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
What I would have done differently had I thought about it:
Use vanilla extract or some other alcohol in place of the Creme De Cacao. I’ve used bourbon and it tasted wonderful.
Any nut will do, or omit if you like
use light chocolate or a less sweet chocolate
Oh c’mon… This is so good you just gotta try it!