Let me start by saying that this is not so much a recipe as it is a Thanksgiving state of mind. An embodiment of all that was great about Thanksgiving dinner all in one bite. A final embrace of feasting and gluttony for the day after turkey day. This is the Pilgrim Sandwich, which could be considered the American version of the English “Bubble and Squeak.”
Whatever you call it, it’s a tradition in my house and I look forward to this the day after thanksgiving almost as much as I look forward to Thanksgiving dinner itself. How could you not love it? It’s the perfect brunch for the day after a feast and the perfect way to get through a bit of leftover… Well, a bit of leftover everything.
And did I mention that it’s fantastically good?
- 1 - 2 slices leftover homemade bread
- A few slices leftover Turkey breast
- A Few tbsp. leftover dressing
- Cranberry sauce, if desired
- 2-3 ladles leftover turkey giblet gravy
- Lay out a thick slice of bread on a large plate. Layer turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce (if desired). Pour gravy over the entire thing. top with another slice of bread, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Share. Indulge. Enjoy.
What I would have done Differently had I thought of it at the time:
I would have used another ladle of gravy, LOL
Links to other recipes like this:
- The Thanksgiving Burrito, from George Duran via al Dente