In Texas summer means hot. Unrelenting heat and humidity. Long days, high utility bills and lots of time in the pool. (If you can brave the heat to get to it, that is.) This summer is no exception, so when we found out the theme for this weeks Sunday supper was “beat the heat”, we couldn’t have been happier. We also didn’t have to think twice about what we’d make, because we had it just last week and we wanted to make it again.
This is a simple meal, just seven ingredients. It’s perfect for the summer, both in terms of preparation time and flavor. The key is in the dressing, which is light, fresh and clean. The key to that dressing is the Crema, which is lighter than the sour cream you’re probably used to.
If you’ve never had crema, it’s a bit hard to describe. It’s a sort of the half-way point between heavy cream and sour cream. Crema is everywhere around here. A bit pricey, but worth it for a mayo-free base for a salad or a taco topping. It can be spooned, poured or piped and is thinner than sour cream with a light, fresh flavor that doesn’t overwhelm what it’s mixed with.
“But I can’t get crema in my area”, you cry! Have no fear. Cream Fraiche is available in a good portion of the country and can be used as a direct substitute. If you can’t get that, you can use 13 ounces of regular sour creme and thin it out a bit with some milk. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’ll be close. You can also just say stuff it and use plain yogurt. Again, not exactly the same (OK, not even close), but passable.
Having said that, take a look around and see if there’s a Mexican specialty store in your area. If not, you can order it online. Nestle has one, though I’m not sure if it is exactly the same as what we get around here. If not, it’s at least close.
The rest of the meal is as simple a it gets. A simple slaw topped with seared or grilled steak. It’s quick, it’s easy and I guarantee that it will make your summer evening just a little more enjoyable.
I hope that you and your family are happy around your table this Sunday and for many, many more to come.
- 15 ounces Mexican style crema or 14 ounces sour cream mixed with 1 ounce of milk
- 1 Tablespoon Chipotle Sauce, or 1 Tablespoon of Adobo from a can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
- The juice of 1 lime
- 5 grinds black pepper
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 head red (or purple) cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut in matchsticks
- 1 pound beef steak, cooked and cut in strips
- Mix Crema or milk and sour creme mixture, chipotle sauce, lime juice and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- Shred cabbage and carrot. Place in a large bowl. Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the slaw mix and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate dressing and Slaw until ready to serve.
- Season steak and cook to desired doneness, either in a grill pan, a skillet or on the grill. Slice thinly across the grain.
- Arrange slaw on a plate, top with 1/4 of the steak, drizzle with reserved dressing. Serve immediately.
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ