Before someone asks, the name of this dish was coined my wife. When I asked her what I should call it for the post, she answered immediately “Surprisingly Wonderful Broccoli Slaw with Sesame”, so there you have it.
But of course there’s a story leading up to that point:
Earlier today I asked my wife if she would like some stir fried broccoli slaw. Her response was to raise an eyebrow, let loose a very well earned supportive sigh and mutter “Sure, Honey. I’ll try some”. which is nearly equivalent to “Oh my goodness, he’s trying to kill me with food again”.
She’s earned the right to have these moments. Not all of my ideas end up in something wonderful. Some don’t even make it into the realm of edible, and for the past 5 years she has had to endure my lows along with my highs. Yes, she has the right… And to top it off, she has apparently never met a broccoli slaw that she’s liked.
Until today, that is.
A few simple ingredients, a hot stir fry pan and a few minutes of your time can generate a product that is far more than the sum of its parts. It’s a perfect side for pork, fish or chicken and lends a wonderful texture to any meal. It’s 100% vegetarian, so can be served at a mixed dinner party with no shame whatsoever. It’s amazing on its own as well, which makes it perfect for a nearly guilt free afternoon snack, which was how I presented it today.
do you have a favorite use for a store-bought salad or greens mix? if so, let us know in the comments. We’d love to hear about it.
- 2 cups store-bought broccoli slaw
- 2 Tbsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and 1 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil in a wok or other high sided skillet over high heat until the oil just begins to smoke. Add broccoli slaw and cook, stirring constantly, until the broccoli is just slightly wilted.
- Add rice vinegar and toss well to combine. Add the remaining Tbsp of sesame oil and sesame seeds, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper as desired and serve immediately.
- Share and enjoy!
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Yup. This one gets the big nothing. It’s perfectly simple and in no need of repair.