If you’re looking for a recipe that will please anyone in your life, this is it. This dish is not only vegan and gluten-free but it’s as quick and easy as it gets. The flavors are complex and satisfying, yet there are only five ingredients. In short, this is the perfect side for anyone without nut allergies.
I’ve seen variations of this dish that include such things as butter, walnut oil, sesame oil and parsley. Honestly, as nice as those ingredients are, some can be difficult to find and most do nothing to enhance the flavors of the dish; Instead, they over complicate things where it isn’t necessary. This recipe has all the flavor it needs from the ingredients themselves and all the texture it needs from chewy walnuts and coarse salt, which adds just the right amount of crunchiness and bite as an end note.
As always, feel free to tailor this recipe to your needs, but do try to keep it as simple as possible to start with. Add other flavors sparingly. I’m sure you’ll agree that it doesn’t need much to be fabulous.
Do you have a favorite recipe for green beans? (Or Pole Beans, as we call them in the South.) If so, feel free to share in comments or on Facebook.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place beans in a medium sauce pan and cover with sater. Bring just to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until crisp-tender (about 4 minutes.) Drain immediately and shock in cold water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add walnut pieces and cook until just toasted and fragrant. Drain beans and add to the skillet. Toss until heated through (about 2 minutes.) Add coarse salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Share and Enjoy!
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Nothing. This was a hit with the whole family, even those who generally shy away from green beans.
I am planning a similar recipe using snow peas, but you’ll just have to wait for that one.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.